Washing machines do a lot of hard work, and over time they can start looking dull and collect dirt and grime. If they’re not properly maintained, they might also break down, causing costly repairs. Here are some tips to maintain one of your most important home appliances – your washing machine – at all times.
Before you use your washing machine
- Make sure the pipes are fitted perfectly without any blisters to avoid water dripping.
- Use a carpenter’s level to make sure that your washing machine is level; it is important that the machine is level so that it does not tilt or become off-balanced.
Every time you do laundry
- Use detergent or softener as per the dosage advised on the back of the detergent pack. The dosage is mentioned on the back of your box of Surf Excel Matic detergent, and you can also find easy dosing instructions on the Surf Excel site.
The importance of cleaning your washing machine regularly
- The exterior of the washing machine should always be kept clean. You can wipe it with a damp cloth. Also, ensure that there are no scratches that can damage the surface.
- Keeping the tub clean is also equally important – this way, you can avoid odors and remove any residue from the detergent. It is a good idea to try to clean the tub every one to three months depending on how frequently you use your machine.Here’s one simple way to clean the tub – fill the tub with water, and then add 3 cups of white distilled vinegar and ½ cup of baking soda. When the water starts draining, allow it to spin. Once the cycle ends, set the washing machine to cold and run another cycle while the machine is empty.
- It’s also important to clean any other parts of your washing machine. You can soak removable dispensers in hot water and clean the dirt and soap residue that collects there. If you can’t remove a dispenser, pour hot water in it or wipe it a damp cloth until it is clean.
Washing machine maintenance
- Having a service person do a maintenance check can help maintain the life of your washing machine. You can do it yourself instead, but in case you’re not sure about it, it’s best to call a service person that you trust who can help.
- Make sure that you take care of all the parts of your washing machine. It is a good idea to replace the hoses and fittings every three years, even if you don’t see any problems.
It’s easy to follow these instructions and help ensure that your washing machine has a long life. Do you have any advice for new washing machine owners? How do you clean your machine? Let us know!