Children love to display their handmade crafts on the refrigerator. Dad is always hanging up phone numbers and slips of paper. And Mom, of course, has her own little notes, lists, and reminders. With the help of the kids, why not personalize a magnet clip for everyone in the family?
Art Materials You Need:
- Wooden or plastic clothes pins
- Buttons, google eyes, small silk flowers, etc
- Hot glue (with parent's help)
- Magnet strips
- Posterboard (white is best)
What You Do:
- Begin by drawing the first letter in each family member's name on a piece of posterboard. Cut out the letters, they should be approximately 3 inches in height
- Next, glue together two clothes pins in cross fashion so that both open at the same end (bottom). Position your letters onto the crisscrossed clothespin to make sure it will fit comfortably
- Lay the posterboard letter onto the flat work surface
Let the children choose what they would like to use to decorate each letter with. One child may be very fond of the color purple and may choose a variety of buttons, pompoms, flowers, and beads, all in purple. Another child may have a liking for google eyes as one of ours did! Use whatever beads, bubbles and items you like, as long as they aren't too heavy. Have the children arrange their "finds" on the letters (atop the work surface) the way they would like them to be on their magnets. An adult will need to operate the glue gun. Apply glue to the items and affix them, one at a time, to the posterboard letter.
Set aside to dry completely. On the back of the crisscrossed clothes pin, attach a long magnet strip (these are self adhesive and available at discount and craft stores). You can also recycle old business card and flat magnets that you have lying around by cutting them to fit and gluing to the back. When finished, glue the letter to the clothespin and hang on the refrigerator!