Creating goopy dough to squeeze and squidgy through your fingers takes no time at all and costs pennies.
And after the kids have finished experimenting with the dough, they can make figures out of it which go hard when left out overnight, for a longer-lasting reminder of their messy masterpiece!
(The preparation might require an adult’s help, but the dough itself is completely child-friendly and won’t harm them if any is swallowed accidentally)
What you need:
- 2 cups of plain flour
- 1 cup of salt
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- 4 tsp cream of tartar
- A few drops of food colouring in different colours
What to do:
- Pour all the dry ingredients into a saucepan and stir in the liquids gradually
- Stir on a very low heat until the dough forms a ball, and becomes less sticky
- Turn it out onto a clean surface and knead it until it becomes smooth and squidgy!
- Split the dough into four and add a couple of drops of food colouring to make 4 colours of dough
- Keep it in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks, or make models and leave out overnight to harden